No skateboard is complete without the skateboard trucks as they are used to attach the wheels to the skateboard deck. Without Skateboard Trucks a normal skateboard would just be useless and hence, they are an integral accessory in the field of skating.
Typically a skateboard consists of two trucks with a single wheel attached to each end. The wheels attached to the board by way of the Skateboard trucks help in modifying the operations during skating. So, the best skateboard trucks would characteristically have, from top to bottom, a griptape to keep the feet on the board and make it easy to perform tricks, the deck, trucks and wheels attached to the trucks.
Table of Contents
- 1 16 Best Skateboard Trucks Review
- 1.1 Gullwing Sidewinder 2 Trucks
- 1.2 Tensor Skateboard Trucks
- 1.3 Independent Silver 139mm Trucks
- 1.4 Independent 129 Skateboard Trucks
- 1.5 Caliber Trucks Cal II 50° RKP Longboard Trucks
- 1.6 Thunder Hi 147 Sonora Black
- 1.7 Independent Stage-11 169mm Silver
- 1.8 Thunder Polish Hi 147 High Performance
- 1.9 Bear Grizzly 852 181mm Skateboard Trucks
- 1.10 Venture Polished Low Skateboard Trucks
- 1.11 Owlsome 5.0 Black Aluminum Skateboard Trucks
- 1.12 Turbo 5.0 (7.75″ Axle) Pro Skateboard Trucks
- 1.13 5″ Turbo Speed Trucks Set w/ Screws
- 1.14 Mini-Logo Skateboards 7.6-Inch Trucks
- 1.15 Caliber Truck Co. 10-Inch
- 1.16 Venture 5.0 Lo Polished
- 2 How To Choose Good Skate Board Trucks
16 Best Skateboard Trucks Review
Reviewing 16 best skate board truck in the market with high demands and durability. All these trucks are with different limitations and excellent performance.
Gullwing Sidewinder 2 Trucks
The Gullwing Sidewinder 2 Truck has a unique design that one cannot help but take a second look. The speciality of this truck is that it has two pivot points which enable exceedingly fast and sharp turns than a standard truck. Due to the pivot’s twofold action it lets the rider use his own thrust to create more speed during turns. These trucks are a footpath surfer’s delight. However, one must be careful to mount these trucks on a suitably shaped deck with a balanced clearance to enable proper performance and prevent wheel bites.
Gullwing Sidewinder trucks also come with a 10” wide solid aluminum hanger on the base plate that can easily endure the rough bumps as the skater performs his wild stunts while diving into the pool or skating on the road. Further, the base of the bushings enables the truck to spring up while carving, thereby giving you more control over your twists and turns.
- Famous for carving and cruising
- Double pivot hanger resulting in better turns
- Cone shape bushing and barrel for super stability and bounce
- Double kingpin for tight turns and surf-like rides.
- Hanger made of aluminum for more power
- Trucks shudder and wheels slide. So wolf slides are best avoided.
Tensor Skateboard Trucks
Tensor Skateboard Trucks are fixed with a replaceable Slider that ensures longer tail slides promising consistency by preventing the catch of the base plate from hitting a rail or ledge. The cage kind of structure of this urethane is particularly inflexible and instantly makes the hanger get back to its original central position. This enhances stability, creating an overall lively feel while skating. The width of the axle is 7.63″. The superlight magnesium material used makes this a lightweight truck that offers fast and smooth turning and grinding respectively. The present Tensor trucks have a replaceable base plate slider to reduce additional weight.
- Available in Regular and Lo variants
- Reasonably priced
- Smooth grinding and fast turning
- Lifetime Warranty
- Screwing is pretty time-consuming
Independent Silver 139mm Trucks
Independent trucks are manufactured in the USA. Known as one of the best skateboard trucks on the market these Independent Silver 139mm Trucks come in silver having a width of 139mm with a set of 2 low trucks, promising extraordinary performance, durability and stability. It is perfect for nearly all types of skateboarding. If you are one of those who like performing stunts on your skateboard and are a frequent street skateboarder then this is the best one for you as you’ll get the desired balance on those sharp turns. Its features comprise 356 T6 Aluminum hanger and baseplate, grade 8 kingpin, solid Chromoly steel axle with Supercush cushions with a cylindrical bottom. They offer the desired strength on impact than any other truck on the market.
- Perfect for Lo trucks
- Comes in set of 2
- 139mm wide which is perfect to fit on most of the boards
- Initially, it produces some noise which ultimately disappears with use.
- Risers from the certain brands are not well-suited with the baseplates of these trucks.
Independent 129 Skateboard Trucks
The Independent 129 has been designed keeping in mind the best geometry for contemporary performance such as sharp turns. It is weightless and has a better stability with reduced wheel bite and decreased wobbling during high speed performances. The new model with a standard base plate looks amazing. By improving the look of the Stage 10 design with newly revised modern performance, Independent has created a standard by which all other brands will be weighed.
The Independent 129 Skateboard Trucks have been enhanced for better firmness on landings, accurate turns, decreased wheel bites and fewer high speed wobbles. Overall these trucks promise an improvised ‘no hang-up’ yoke and more grind clearance to become the longest lasting performance trucks in the market.
- Offers more overall grind clearance
- Better performance and long lasting
- Doesn’t come with hardware
Caliber Trucks Cal II 50° RKP Longboard Trucks
The Caliber Trucks have improved on their craft to be as close to precision trucks as possible. The Caliber Trucks Cal II 50° RKP Longboard Trucks have improved on their design giving you more stability and control over your trucks. The rebound and overall responsiveness is much higher due to the new ‘Inner Step’ that provides an increased contact area with the bushing. Slop has been eliminated due to this ‘Inner Step’ diameter that has been adjusted to 25.4 mm. The latest ‘Outer Step’ is now an ideal sphere having a 31.5mm diameter, producing a flawless ‘no slop’ fit with extra-large bushing combinations. Added to these great features are the playful colors that make the ride all the more enjoyable.
- Higher tolerance level of pivot
- Grade 8 hex head kingpin for toughness
- Reinforced baseplate intensifies the strength
- Trustworthy construction
- Nine stunning colors to choose from
- Strong pins
- Greater user maneuverability and control
- In-house treatment to increase strength
- Just right for going for a free ride or downhill
- Rebound bushings keep the board stable
- Softness issues despite great bushings
- Does not include any hardware
Thunder Hi 147 Sonora Black
Thunder is manufactured in San Francisco, California. These trucks offer you the best turning response you need to heighten your thrills. Being durable and lightweight with an added advantage of a lifetime guarantee these Thunder Hi 147 Sonora Black trucks are truly an attractive option where skateboard trucks are concerned. However, the bad news is that the risers do not fit in with the base plate of certain brands. By and large Thunder Hi 147 does a moderately good job by offering an immense stability and control thereby averting inevitable wheel bite and helping in augmenting your overall skating experience. Thunder Hi 147 are generally loose trucks and therefore not the perfect option for speedy downhill action.
- Hi trucks
- Comes in set of 2
- Black color
- Risers are not friendly with base plates of all brands
- Loose trucks and unsuitable for fast downhill rides
Independent Stage-11 169mm Silver
The 169 Stage 11 trucks from Independent are slightly taller and hence permit a far much wider array of motion, better grind clearance, less wheel bite and improved stability and turn. The Independent Stage-11 169mm Silver is a high tech truck made in USA fashioned for better grinding and guaranteed for life. They are by far the best standard height trucks with a combination of geometry and features from the stable of Independent. True to its name this brand uses the best materials for its components like 356 TS aluminum for its hangers and base plates, Grade 8 kingpins and 4140 Chromoly steel axles. Each component has been delicately designed and tested for better response. They are featherweight and super durable.
- Old fashioned deck with better quality
- Set of 2 items
- No hand-up yoke
- Chrome alloy steel axles with grade 8 kingpins
- Bushings are far too soft
Thunder Polish Hi 147 High Performance
The basic plus point of Thunder Polish Hi 147 High Performance is its kingpin which allows for a great turning experience. It is very light to handle with the desired durability a skater may look forward to in his truck. The company promises a lifelong guarantee on all manufacturing deficiencies, which is also a much welcomed benefit during the time of procurement.
After-sales service is prompt.
Manufactured in San Francisco, California these polished trucks are made from the best quality materials to ensure long life and satisfactory all round performance. These well designed trucks provide you the turning response Thunder Trucks are famous for.
- Quick response geometry
- Strong yet light design made to last longer
- Quicker turns and faster reactions compared to other trucks
- Guaranteed against all manufacturing defects
- Amazon’s choice
- No drawbacks
Bear Grizzly 852 181mm Skateboard Trucks
Bear Grizzly 852 is the ideal merchandize for your skateboard you would need for an exhilarating longboarding experience. Irrespective of your skill with skateboarding it goes well with any riding style. Adhering to the finest quality standards, this truck is great for street rides and is very durable. It is specifically designed for cruising, carving and freeriding and comes in a package of 2 trucks with a 52” baseplate angle that sits well on the deck. Its barrel bushing is designed for shock absorption and better stability. Being made with a new aluminum alloy recipe this product is lighter than any other and comes along with a lock-in bushing base and leaning assembly.
- Most suitable for street skating
- Appropriate for all kinds of riding styles
- Easy to install and versatile
- Strong and lightweight
- No drawbacks
Venture Polished Low Skateboard Trucks
Venture Polished Low Skateboard Trucks is made in San Francisco, California from premium quality materials and considered one of the lightest products you will ever find. It has a comparatively thin layer that covers the entire skateboard providing for a safe response, balance and stability you would need during sharp turns or while performing stunts with your skateboard.
It is a perfect fit for a deck measuring 8.25” to 8.75”. As the name suggests, it is a low truck guaranteeing a phenomenal ride. These Venture Polished trucks have a 7.75″ axle and 5.0″ hanger (set of 2).
- Perfect turning reaction
- Excellent quality
- Wonderful for large decks
- Lightweight & Heavy-duty
- Slightly expensive as compared to other brands
Owlsome 5.0 Black Aluminum Skateboard Trucks
Owlsome Trucks are crafted for a smooth and pure ride on the streets, grinding through the local skate park or zipping through the neighborhood park, they are just what you need. Being light in weight, imparting a rapid response and unrivaled degrees of strength and control, these trucks are the ideal option for a novice as well as experienced skaters.
Owlsome 5.0 Black Aluminum Skateboard Trucks comes in a variety of first-rate colors to complement your skateboard. The axle is produced from Carson steel applying 95A black bushing which gives it the required finishing touch as well as its strength. These trucks are fitted with Owlsome’s exclusive precision ABEC 7 bearings.
All in all it is an attractive truck offering your skateboard extra balance and strength.
- Made completely from aluminum which makes it lightweight
- Attached with Carson steel axle with black bushing
- It is perfect for 52mm x 31mm 99A skateboard wheels
- It comes with six black screws and two silver ones which looks odd when screwed
Turbo 5.0 (7.75″ Axle) Pro Skateboard Trucks
Turbo 5.0 (7.75” Axle) Pro is noted for its speedy response. This is because of its lightweight detailing and matchless levels of control. According to the customary Turbo specifics it has fabulous strength and is just right for an average deck size of 8″ and is packaged in a set of 2. This truck has made its mark as a reputed and much in demand item among the scores of best brands and products related to skateboards.
- Multiple color options
- Unmatched levels of control and strength
- Customer service is slow
5″ Turbo Speed Trucks Set w/ Screws
This Turbo truck is fitted with a 5” hanger and a 7.63” axle length which is ideal for decks measuring 7.5 inches, 7.63 inches and 7.75 inches. These 5″ Turbo Speed Trucks Set w/ Screws come along with a set of 2 mid profile trucks and a set of 1 inch Phillips Screws for ready installation on your skateboard.
With a sturdy and durable metal alloy finish, the 5” Turbo Speed truck is probably the most long-lasting item you will find on the market. Moreover it has a myriad color options which makes it one of the sought after items for your skateboard.
Despite there being no manual to guide you, it is not difficult to install the truck onto the skateboard.
- Metal Alloy Finish enhances durability
- Superior quality Phillips Screws
- Offered with a set of 2 mid profile product
- While the bushings are good, you may feel a slight wheel bite
Mini-Logo Skateboards 7.6-Inch Trucks
Made with premium alloys, precision axles and high-rebound bushings, these Mini-Logo Skateboards 7.6-Inch Trucks combine smooth turning, strength, stability, durability due to lightweight hanger and baseplate. These trucks have been developed at Skate One Corp for more than 5 years and the sophisticated materials used along with the shape and finish make them an ideal militant’s skater.
The grind and turn are smooth and the precision 8mm axles with a somewhat curved hanger are a security device intended to fasten you into the grinds. Superior urethane bushings are made for precise and smooth control. Due to the truck’s clever technical build no brake is required. The bonus is a lifetime warranty against manufacturing imperfections
- High ranking performance with amazing stability and strength and smooth turning
- Featherweight with no compromise on performance and quality
- Precision axles with High-rebound bushings
- Lifetime warranty for manufacturing flaws
- No drawbacks
Caliber Truck Co. 10-Inch
If you’re looking for a satisfying feel and enjoyable ride, you should not miss the Caliber Truck Co. 10-Inch that is quite affordable and excellent for downhill driving or freeriding. This truck is built for speed and its 44-degree hanger angle pushes performance riders to cross their limits during downhill racing. The blood orange bushings are constructed with two 89A super high rebound barrels to further increase the truck’s stability and prevent wobbles during speedy turns. The kingpin is made of grade 8 steel like all other Caliber Trucks to make certain your trucks will remain safe no matter how hard you drive them. There is a platter of colors to choose from and it is quite easy to mount as well.
- higher tolerance Pivot
- Grade 8 hex head kingpin for durability
- Increases strength due to reinforced baseplate
- Solid construction
- Despite great bushings, people still have issues with their softness
Venture 5.0 Lo Polished
True to Venture excellence and durability their 5.0 Low Polished skateboard trucks with a standard baseplate and all the materials manufactured in the USA, this is one truck you don’t want to miss. The Venture 5.0 Lo Polished has been designed and perfected in such a manner so as to offer superior support and stability for all types of landscapes. Its workmanship promises safety and security while you perform those silly thrills and stunts with the sharp turns devoid of any anxiety of wheel bite.
No need to think twice about getting this piece of item. You need to just mount it on your skateboard, that’s all.
- Strong and Durable construction
- Shock absorbing Bushings that prevents wheel bite
- Easily mountable
- No drawbacks
How To Choose Good Skate Board Trucks
A skateboard truck consists of many parts within itself and to be an expert to choose the right truck for yourself, you need to consider and understand each of the fragment it is constructed off. Here is a detailed view of the parts of skate board truck.
Base Plate: As the name suggests this is the base layer of the truck and is supported by 4 bolts to the skateboard. The base plate also holds the pivot cup and the kingpin.
Hanger: The hanger is the main component after the base plate. The pivot is the base of the hanger and is placed in the pivot cup which lies in the base plate. The hanger is connected to the base plate with the bushings and kingpin on the other side. This is the part of the truck that enables one to grind.
Bushings: The turning operations are controlled by the bushings. They are placed on the kingpin between the hanger and the base plate. Made of polyurethane material these bushings are available in different grades of firmness and can be interchanged with the aid of a skate tool.
Kingpin: This instrument is a screw which joins the base plate to the hanger. The kingpin nut is bolted onto the top end of the kingpin and can be changed whenever required. A concave kingpin has a hollow screw which helps reduce the weightiness of the truck.
Speed Rings: Small sized washers on the axle are called Speed Rings that are similar in size to the core of the bearings. They are located between the hangers and bearings as well as between the axle nuts and bearings. These devices prevent friction between the bearings and the other parts like the axle nut or the hanger thereby helping in keeping them clean.
Washer: Bushings have metal discs called Washers that are placed below and above to bring the board back into starting position after spinning. These parts also guarantee even distribution of the forces acting on the board. There are certain bushings that have an unbreakable hard plastic sheet that do not require washers.
Axle: The axle is an uninterrupted bar made of steel or titanium which encompasses through the hanger placed around it. Ideally the axle is the protrusion on which the wheels are attached. The bearings and wheels are placed on the noticeable parts of the axle. When the thread of the axle wears out, a skate tool can be used with an axle rethreader.
Axle Nuts: The nuts on the axle that mounts the wheels are known as Axle Nuts. These are replaceable and easily available in a skate shop.
A skateboard truck is a tool in the shape of a ‘T’ which is mounted below the board and helps to holds the bearings and wheels. They are an extremely necessary part of the skateboard as they help the skater to remain stable while operating the skateboard. They also help protect you during sharp turns at high levels of speed.
Choosing The Seamless Skateboard Trucks
Selecting the precise truck is a mammoth decision for a skater. For a beginner it is quite tough to go through all the diverse descriptions and sizes to find exactly what you have in mind. But there’s no need to get flustered as it has been made convenient for you to learn the difference between low, standard/ mid and high trucks respectively 129, 139 and 149 according to the cryptic abbreviations.
While buying a truck you have to keep in mind that they fit the board size i.e. shorter trucks would require smaller board width. However, the trucks can be adjusted according to personal preference so as to be tight or loose. While loose trucks are easier to turn, tight trucks are helpful for professional riding and rails.
Parameters to be considered for a perfect skateboard truck
The width or thickness of a skateboard truck is determined by the breadth of the hanger i.e. inner width and the width of the axle i.e. the outer width. The Skateboard width should be such that the trucks comfortably fit into it. You must ensure that they are not wider than the deck or else the center of gravity will be focused on the side of the deck. Such an arrangement could hinder flip tricks and affect the skater’s general feeling of the board. However, there is not much of a problem if the deck is marginally wider than the trucks. Skateboard trucks are generally represented by their hanger width (inner width). A manufacturer’s info about sizes of the truck could at times be a bit daunting. So the best thing would be to emphasis on the axle width.
- Select a truck with an axle width precisely the same as your deck width. Here, a boundary of +/- 0.125″ is all right. Therefore, for a deck 8″ wide a truck having an axle width between 7.875″ – 8.125″ would be seamless.
- Though a truck having an axle width of +/- 0.25″ would work okay, that kind of arrangement is really not recommend.
- Appropriate information about hanger and axle widths can be found in the shop selling the skateboard trucks and you can also avail their filters to seek out diverse hanger and axle widths.
A Skateboard Truck’s Ideal size
There is no standard size of a skateboard truck and hence a general idea of the same is here to make it easy for you. The following size plan can be analyzed to simplify your search for the right size. There could be slight variations in the measurements of width likely to happen during manufacture, which are actually quite negligible.
- The height of a skateboard is determined by Low, Standard/Mid or High. The variance between these three margins of height in a skateboard truck is quite insignificant. What matters are the finer details i.e. your body height and the size of the wheels which is of ultimate importance.
- In case of a higher truck, the tail has to be endlessly pushed down while moving. In such a scenario the deck acts as a lever and the angle of the board becomes much steeper due to the long distance the deck’s tail has to go till it touches ground level.
- Higher trucks are preferred for taller people as the tail can be pushed to the ground pretty swiftly with the help of their long legs and adequate power. Nevertheless, big skaters can ride low trucks as well where the pop-offs usually occur quite promptly. These actions are referred to as ‘quick snaps’.
- Short statured skaters and children should stick with low trucks as they might have a tough time with a higher system.
There being no specific industry standard for the precise height of the assorted sizes some manufacturers label their trucks as ‘high’ which are not really the said height. Therefore, you can have a look at the categories under, so you can stay on top of things.
A Skateboard Truck’s Ideal Height
– High: In high trucks you stand higher above the ground to some extent. This kind of truck enables you to ollie higher as the board has a steeper incline when popping. There is also reduced risk of wheel bites. However, in comparison to low trucks high trucks are heavier making the board quite unstable during turns due to the steeper angle of the trucks. High trucks accommodate all sizes of wheels though to be on the safe side one should fit in riser or shock pads for larger wheels measuring 57mm to 59mm.
– Mid: Mid truck as the name suggests is a standard size between high and low and hence ideal for skateboarding on the whole and for a safe choice for someone who cannot make a decision. The correct size of wheels for a mid/standard truck is amid 52 mm and 56 mm.
– Low: Low trucks are very convenient as the deck is closer to the ground enabling a more stable handling of your deck and they are even lighter. But there is a high threat of wheel bites specifically on unclean landings and softer surfaces. So, it is advised to use small wheels measuring 50 mm or 51 mm on low trucks or use riser or shock pads to prevent wheel bites.
Recommended Wheels According To Truck Height
The height of a truck is generally measured from the base plate to the mid of the axle. This dimension signifies the equal distance between the deck and the truck through which you come to know the height of your board from the ground.
In case you wish to try bigger wheels all you need to do is just fix riser or shock pads to the board without having to purchase new trucks. You may bear in mind though, that you will probably require a pack of new bolt as well.
The correct wheel sizes for the individual truck heights are:
– Low Truck should be 50 mm to 53 mm
– Mid Truck should be 52 mm to 56 mm
– High Truck should be 55 mm to 60 mm
If you are still not convinced about the size of wheels for your trucks, a detailed table is given below that has the optional max wheel measurement for low, medium and high trucks. It is however simply a guideline for your convenience.
Skateboard trucks are an integral part of any skater’s full skating kit. These specific merchandize come in a broad range of colors, styles and sizes to cater the taste and requirement of a skater and offer a mixed bag of features for the different categories of skateboarding including street skating, longboarding, cruising and vert skating. With proper knowledge and guidance a skater can make the right decision while choosing the best skateboard trucks that can survive high impact landings while also being light to perform flip tricks and ollies.